Words have always answered questions for me. I have a deep curiosity about life and people, and writing has always been a way for me to make sense of all the random stuff my sensitive soul picks up along the way.
As I've aged I have started to look not just at other people, but inside myself to get the answers that I crave and that inner journey has given me many gifts. One of those is the book "Beloved" which brings together my love of nature, with the insights I received during the most challenging time in my life.
The idea of the Soul Stones also emerged from the time I spent grieving my darling mother. I suppose it was my response to the impermanence and fragility of life. I looked to nature, and to stones in particular as a repository for timeless messages that would last much longer than a human lifetime.
That's all a bit deep and serious and so here are...
14 Interesting Facts About Me:
- When I was nine my mum gathered my “poems” together and copied them into a hard-cover red journal which I treasure to this day.
- My first novel "Redemption" was published in New York by Face to Face Press in 2002. You can still buy it on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Redemption-Emma-Farry/dp/1929712030
- I'm officially addicted to meditation and have meditated every day since March 9th 1997.
- I was working as temp at a TV station called MSNBC in New York on September 11th 2001, when the twin towers came down. Seeing the CFO standing at his desk crying while watching the carnage unfold on his TV screen was one of my many memories of that day.
- My cousins, friends and I started Saama, New Zealand’s first multi-cultural talent agency.
- I have used the healing energy of reiki for many years. A few years ago I graduated as a Reiki Master. I had all my business cards printed and ready to go, when I realised that it was myself, not the world that needed the healing. I just recently threw away those 250 business cards, smiling at my wonderfully optimistic self as I did so.
- I was once arrested and briefly jailed in New York for allegedly trying to steal a pair of black socks from Daffys in Brooklyn before all charges were dropped. (Of course I had no intention of stealing those socks, but only some of you will believe me.)
- After my post-graduate diploma in journalism I worked at my first newspaper job at the Otago Daily Times in Dunedin for exactly one year covering the social welfare round. Back then we wrote our stories on typewriters, people still smoked at work and the bosses were all male.
- I spent a few years working as a freelance researcher on lifestyle television shows, like NZ House and Garden”, “Maggie’s Garden Show” and “NZ’s Got Talent”.
- I love nature, beach walks, reading and taking photographs...and did I mention meditation?
- I am the oldest of five children, and (depending on who you talk to) I used to be bossier than I am now.
- My husband Mark is my original Soul Stone and my two sons rock my world (get it?)
I made this video for a friend in Paris who wanted me to help her start a meditation practice. I use it with my boys (aged 9 and 12) and we usually get five minutes of peace and silence after much hilarity (mostly about the funny sound of my voice).
Give it a try if you need some help on the inward journey.
This video was made back before I took my own photographs. I watched it again recently and I liked the mixture of words, images and music.